Twitter is celebrating its sixth birthday today. The sheer fact that you can understand that sentence shows you how far Twitter has gone since then. It has become the de facto short message system of the internet and the favorite social networking service of celebrities all around the world.
Today Twitter has an estimated 350 million registered users, with about 100 million of them posting regularly on the site in 2011. The service has attracted numerous celebrities, politicians, brands, and influencers from all fields to the platform. Depending on who you ask (or follow), you'll find that Twitter can be used to comment on the mundane, for personal micro-blogging, as a promotional tool, an RSS reader replacement, or to learn about current events in real time.
Here are some quick facts about Twitter gathered from around the web:
- Born from a 5-member team, Twitter is now available in 28 languages and employs over 835 people.
- Over 60 billion tweets were sent out in all of 2011.
- 1 million Twitter accounts are opened every day
- The record for maximum tweets per second as of date is 12233, set during Superbowl 2012.
- It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to hit the first billion tweets. Now it takes less than a week.
- A 2011 study from the University of Washington says Twitter and other social media sites played a central role leading up to the toppling of the Tunisian and Egyptian dictators.
- Lady Gaga (@LadyGaga) has over 21 million followers on Twitter, making her the most "followed" user. Barack Obama (@BarackObama) is by the most popular politician on Twitter with over 13 million followers, while YouTube (@YouTube) is the most popular brand on Twitter with 10 million followers.